- Center our attention around the needs and collaboration with local activists.
- Access to the conference both f2f and online- enhanced technology.
- Safety and security including how we engage with allies, availability of information to negotiate spaces, apps, and perhaps a pre-workshop that will set the tone of “mindfulness and preparedness.” Engagement with police or other authorities?
- Facilitate a variety of donations to local movements on the part of membership as well as other professional organizations that support the conference (i.e. book publishers, etc.).
- Letter writing campaign.
- Press release and press conference.
- Pre-conference statement from Asao about our actions, activities and suggestions for actions, affiliations, etc. for those who still choose to skip the convention.
- Invite a prominent speaker/workshop leader who can lead us in transformative action work – how to get started (i.e. Howard Stephenson, Robin D.G. Kelley, or others).
- Statement in the program about our dedication to activism and our efforts to affect change; cover art to reflect our activist values.
- Pre and post workshops dedicated to activism and organizing using our particular skillset with waived fees.
- On-going role for the Social Justice and Activism Task Force.
- A Social Justice and Activism Award.
- Expansion of Scholars for the Dream (perhaps including a slot for Social Justice and Activism).
I will wait until next weekend before I make my decision to accept everything on this list. I would like to give any Cs member who would like to offer me feedback on this list a chance to do so. If you find something missing that really shouldn't be, or something overlooked, please, let me know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by leaving a comment on this blog. I appreciate your thoughts and will listen. The deadline for all those comments will be 8:00 AM PST Sunday, Oct 15.
I'm encouraged by the dedicated and conscientious work that Duku and the SJAC has done so quickly. I'm also encouraged again by the wonderful suggestions that our members and caucuses offered. Thank you, all.
Thank you for checking in on the progress we are making with #4C18. More soon.