Monday, February 5, 2018

Final 4C18 Update -- Remote Accessibility Pilot Moving Forward



Well, we have five weeks before 4C18 is here! Things are coming together, but it also means this is the last official 4C18 Update on this blog. I may still post a few more unofficial updates, but know that this is the last official one that keeps everyone up to date on the SJAC and the convention more generally. I want to thank the SJAC for their work, which many of them are continuing to do and will finish at the convention. I especially thank Jessie Moore, my transparency officer, who has coordinated all the details of updating for me, so that I didn't miss an important detail in these posts.

Here's the updates.

  1. Collaboration with local activists (Ersula Ore, Victor Del Hierro, Romeo Garcia, David Green). This group is done. 
  2. Technology and Access (F2F and OL) (Stephanie Kerschbaum, Aja Y. Martinez, Bump Halbritter, Casie Moreland, Zan Goncalves, Brenda Brueggeman, Chad Iwertz, Ruth Osorio, Kristen Ruccio, and Dev Bose). This group is helping with our contracted expert, Greg Zobel, whom I'm working closely with to make pilot several remote access options in a limited way, which I've explained in the Jan 22 update. Greg will be running the room we are outfitting with the appropriate technology to stream in and out presentations, as well as allow passing viewing of presentations given in or through the room. He will also assess pilot and offer suggestions on how sustainable something like this is for future annual conventions. There are several groups (CDICC and the Standing Group for Disability Studies) helping him assess the pilot and other remote accessibility options at the convention. Very soon, folks will be getting emails inviting them to be a part of our remote pilot. So look for those emails very soon. They will require a response on your part. 
  3. Welcoming Companions Project (Al Harahap, Brent Chappelow, Dana Driscoll, Brian Hendrickson, Amy Meckenburg-Faenger, Alisa Russell, Mary Stewart, and Matthew Vetter). This group is still working but no updates. 
  4. Donation to Local Movements (Casie Moreland, Kayla Bruce, Jess Boykin, Hillary Coenen, and Kayla Koury). This group will have a table in the Action Hub and a laptop to allow members to donate to several local organizations (Black Lives Matter, LiteracyKC, the Black Archives of Mid-America, and The AdHoc group Against Crime). They continue to look for an online portal for the Center for American Indian Community Health (CAICH). 
  5. Letter Writing Campaign (Holly Hassel, Thomas Ferrel, and Daniel Mahala). This group continues to develop materials that they will offer at their table in the Action Hub. 
  6. Work with Local Committee and Activists on Press Release and Press Coverage (Jessie Moore). Jessie has written a draft of a press release for the convention, and has shared that with me, which I'll collaborate on. Jessie is also drafting a list of SJAC initiatives and sessions to feature on social media (as part of CCCC broader social media plans for the convention), which will be shared soon. She and I encourage everyone to use #KC as an additional hashtag (for instance, #4C18 #KC) for social media postings related to our social justice efforts and events at the convention. 
  7. Preconvention Statement on Actions, Activities (Michael Pemberton and Romeo Garcia). This is work is done. 
  8. All-Convention Activity (Holly Hassel, Jessie Moore, David Green). The group continues to finalize its list of table facilitators, develop materials and instructions for facilitators, create an online space for recording notes, questions, and discussion highlights, and create prompts to shape the discussion. I have completed my collection of social justice and activism statements that I'm hoping will help us all reflect upon our own work and the work of CCCC more generally before and at the convention. Expect to get an email, which will go to all members, that has a link to this document. I encourage everyone to read, make notes on their copies, reflect, and bring the packet to the convention for working in the all-convention event. 
  9. Program Statement and Cover Art (Al Harahap, Michael Pemberton, and Romeo Garcia). This work is done.  
  10. Pre- and Post-Workshops Dedicated to Activism and Organizing (Michael Pemberton, Romeo Garcia). This group has finalized the workshop outlines and structure. They are continuing to work with the workshop facilitators on finalizing their individual plans. All arrangements for the room and its arrangement have been made. Vershawn A. Young, one of the facilitators of one of the workshops will need to be replaced, as he must attend the EC meeting at the same time. As of Jan 31, the workshop was full, but Kristen Suchor has indicated they will open more seats for folks who still wish to join this workshop. This group has prepared a slightly more detailed outline of workshop #1 and workshop #2, each with key info on place, time, and facilitators. 

Finally, allow me to share the cover of our program. Here's what you can expect to see on the printed cover. It was created by a student group at UMKC, under the guidance of Paul Tosh, Associate Professor of Art & Art History, Graphic Design.

While things will continue to move, and we get closer to 4C18 in Kansas City, I may offer a few short updates here. Thank you, all.

Peace
Asao

Monday, January 22, 2018

4C18 Update - Remote Access Pilot Under Way



There is much to report on this time around. I'm please to announce that we have contracted with Greg Zobel (Western Oregon University) to help us with our remote accessibility pilot this year, as well as help with making other aspects of the convention more accessible, particularly to those convention-goers who cannot make it to Kansas City in March.

Here's the updates.
  1. Collaboration with local activists (Ersula Ore, Victor Del Hierro, Romeo Garcia, David Green). This group is done and has move to help other groups, as needed. 
  2. Technology and Access (F2F and OL) (Stephanie Kerschbaum, Aja Y. Martinez, Bump Halbritter, Casie Moreland, Zan Goncalves, Brenda Brueggeman, Chad Iwertz, Ruth Osorio, Kristen Ruccio, and Dev Bose). NCTE-CCCC has negotiated a contract with Greg Zobel to develop a pilot program and its assessment for virtual access of several major events from the convention and enabling 1 room at CCCC 2018 with accessibility options for remote attendance and participation, as well as developing assessment measures to get feedback on the quality and success of the pilot. I'll say more below about this work. 
  3. Welcoming Companions Project (Al Harahap, Brent Chappelow, Dana Driscoll, Brian Hendrickson, Amy Meckenburg-Faenger, Alisa Russell, Mary Stewart, and Matthew Vetter). This group is currently analyzing the data from the survey, and have determined that there is a need for the program, so it will be offered. Additionally, they have tested several phone apps that look to be useful for this project. 
  4. Donation to Local Movements (Casie Moreland, Kayla Bruce, Jess Boykin, Hillary Coenen, and Kayla Koury). This group is working with and facilitating donations for:  Literacy KCThe Center for American Indian Community HealthBlack Lives Matter, the Black Archives of Mid-America, and Ad Hoc Group Against Crime. The group is also in the process of asking some of the publishers who will be in the expo for help or donations too.  
  5. Letter Writing Campaign (Holly Hassel, Thomas Ferrel, and Daniel Mahala). The Write-In team continues to develop informational materials that will be available for attendees to stop by the Write-In table, learn about local anti-racist activism, and create a postcard or letter to state or local policymakers. They have secured several hundred stamped postcards for this effort. They are meeting next week to review and draft an informational overview of the state-level policy decisions that led to the travel advisory from the NAACP.
  6. Work with Local Committee and Activists on Press Release and Press Coverage (Jessie Moore). Jesse has written a draft of a press release for the convention, and will be sharing that with me for collaboration soon. I also agree with her wish to use social media strategically in order to draw more attention to our SJAC projects. This may, in part, take the form of an additional hashtag linked to place (e.g., #4c18 #KansasCity) or the like.
  7. Preconvention Statement on Actions, Activities (Michael Pemberton and Romeo Garcia). This is work is done. These members are already in other groups. 
  8. All-Convention Activity (Holly Hassel, Jessie Moore, David Green). We are still gathering volunteers to be table/discussion leaders at the event. Additionally, the deadline for the social justice and activism statements from various folks and the caucus was Sunday, Jan 21. This means soon, that packet of statements will go out to everyone, as a way to begin reflecting on our own work as activist work and CCCC as an conference. 
  9. Program Statement and Cover Art (Al Harahap, Michael Pemberton, and Romeo Garcia). the program statement on the scope of the SJAC work is complete, and will be a part of the chair's letter that goes in the program. Expect that. Also, the cover art for the program is complete. 
  10. Pre- and Post-Workshops Dedicated to Activism and Organizing (Michael Pemberton, Romeo Garcia). The group has just about completed all their work. The final touches on the room arrangements were made this week. 
The biggest item in the above list is #2, and Greg, the NCTE staff, and I have been working daily on planning. While the remote access pilot will be small this year, my hope is that the assessment of it that Greg will provide us will reveal just how sustainable offering a portion of Cs annual convention is moving forward. I can say at this point that it's expensive, very expensive. In short, here's what we plan to do in the time remaining, which is very short. The remote accessibility pilot will consist of the following:

  • Live stream the opening general session, the all-convention event, KC cultural event (recorded only), and the annual business meeting. 
  • Live stream FROM the convention all the sessions/presentations in one, special room that is outfitted with the appropriate technology and technicians, which will also be archived for future access online. This room will have a capacity of about 100 attendees. 
  • Live stream TO the convention several sessions/presentations into the same room. 
Additionally shortly after the convention is over, Greg will provide me a report that assesses the pilot. He will be surveying participants, and gathering deeper information about the experience at the convention through a focus group. The Disability SIG is collaborating with him on the assessment. The biggest challenge, besides the costs of everything, in this pilot is the time we have left before the convention.

Finally, a note about remote presenters, presenters who would like to have their presentations live streamed, and remote convention-goers. Expect to hear from me very soon about your options. Because of the timing, I simply cannot make an open call for anyone who wants to try to deliver their presentation remotely, or offer their in-person presentation remotely at the convention. There are too many moving parts, and it is too late in the game to do that. So I'll be contacting just those I can move around on the schedule and that I think might be able to participate in the pilot. Again, this is due to timing and many other parts that are locking into place as we move quickly to the convention day.

So I'll likely be contacting presenters who have accepted their invitations to present at 4C18 very soon, and ask them to participate in this pilot. If you do not hear from me, it is safe to assume that you are scheduled on the program as a regular presenter, round table, etc. Unfortunately, it does not appear at this point that we can test out these options in a workshop, but I'm still looking into it.

Peace

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

4C18 Update - Consultant Found for Remote Access Pilot

This past few weeks has been a very busy time. Things are ramping up, and I'm very pleased with all the work we've done. And again, as I've said in the past, I'm particularly humbled by the good labors that many folks, especially those on the SJAC and the local arrangements committee have been doing. In some very real ways, many of us are already laboring and languaging toward transforming ourselves and our convention. Thank you.

Here's the rundown of what has been happening with the SJAC's priorities:
  1. Collaboration with local activists (Ersula Ore, Victor Del Hierro, Romeo Garcia, David Green). This group is done and has move to help other groups, as needed. 
  2. Technology and Access (F2F and OL) (Stephanie Kerschbaum, Aja Y. Martinez, Bump Halbritter, Casie Moreland, Zan Goncalves, Brenda Brueggeman, Chad Iwertz, Ruth Osorio, Kristen Ruccio, and Dev Bose). I've received the proposal from the consultant who will likely work with us to augment the convention. This work group unanimously chose this consultant and proposal, so it was strongly endorsed by the SJAC. As is the customary way with handling any consultant, the NCTE head office and Emily Kirkpatrick are in the process of drawing up and negotiating the final contract with the consultant. This should be complete and a handoff to me likely will happen in the next week. We will then move forward on the pilot program for this year. Right now, I anticipate that we will be able to livestream (in some capacity) several of the major events, and have at least one room dedicated to having fuller remote access options. I'll have more details soon. 
  3. Welcoming Companions Project (Al Harahap, Brent Chappelow, Dana Driscoll, Brian Hendrickson, Amy Meckenburg-Faenger, Alisa Russell, Mary Stewart, and Matthew Vetter). I have no new updates here. 
  4. Donation to Local Movements (Casie Moreland, Kayla Bruce, Jess Boykin, and Hillary Coenen). This group may still need volunteers, so please go to their sign-up sheet to volunteer for a time slot at the convention. The organizations they will be collecting donations for are: Literacy KCThe Center for American Indian Community Health, and Black Lives Matter. They are currently in the process of contacting the local groups and publishers to see if they might be involved. 
  5. Letter Writing Campaign (Holly Hassel, Thomas Ferrel, and Daniel Mahala). Working with local arrangements chair Jane Greer, Holly, Thomas and Daniel are working on putting together informational materials about specific issues within Missouri that led to the NAACP’s travel advisory, including incidents of racial bias in policing and the legislative bill, SB 43, which threatens the civil and employment rights of people of color. These materials will be available at the write-in table, along with postcards, writing materials, envelopes, stamps, and contact information for policymakers and local officials so that participants can communicate concerns to Missouri decision-makers.
  6. Work with Local Committee and Activists on Press Release and Press Coverage (Jessie Moore). Now that other details are in place, this group is starting on its work. I will work with Jessie on this.  
  7. Preconvention Statement on Actions, Activities (Michael Pemberton and Romeo Garcia). We have completed our statement that details the new things at our convention this year, and it will be placed in the program. It will be a part of the traditional welcome letter by the chair, so that letter is a bit longer than in past years. 
  8. All-Convention Activity (Holly Hassel, Jessie Moore, David Green). More work has been done here. Mostly, we've confirmed our three local activist speakers: Gillian Helm, Executive Director of Literacy KC, Alvin Brooks (Ad Hoc Group Against Crime), Glenn North (Poet Laureate at the 18th and Vine Historic Jazz District). I'm also working with a number of our members and member groups putting together the packet of statements on social justice and activism that will be distributed several weeks before the convention and used in this all-convention event. A special thanks to Steve Parks, Tiane Donahue, and Brice Norquist for helping with the International submissions to the packet. 
  9. Program Statement and Cover Art (Al Harahap, Michael Pemberton, and Romeo Garcia). Paul Tosh has sent me options for our cover, and I'm in the process of selecting a cover. The cover art is designed by a group of students that Paul oversees. What I've seen looks great and I'll have more on this in the coming weeks. 
  10. Pre- and Post-Workshops Dedicated to Activism and Organizing (Michael Pemberton, Romeo Garcia). The group has confirmed the workshop facilitators.
Group #1: Social Justice and Activism in the Context of Program Administration and Service
  • Frankie Condon (Univ. of Waterloo)
  • Vershawn Ashanti Young (Univ. of Waterloo)
Group #2: Incorporating Pedagogies of Social Justice in the Classroom
  • Karen Rowan (CSU Santa Barbara)
  • Laura Greenfield (Hampshire College)
Group #3: The Possibilities and Limitations of Scholarly Work on Social Justice
  • Romeo Garcia (Syracuse Univ.)
  • Karrieann Soto Vega (Syracuse Univ.)
  • Charles Bazerman (UC Santa Barbara)
Group #4: Safety, Security, and Public Awareness
  • Merrell Bennekin (Kansas City Office of Community Complaints)
    In the afternoon workshop, there are 28 volunteer facilitators. Thank you, all! Over the course of the next month or so, this work group will coordinate the agendas for both workshops and work with facilitators to organize them.  They will also be working with NCTE to manage attendance and coordinate room arrangements for both workshops.
There are other things that have been moving to make our convention more engaging this year. The chair of the Scholars for the Dream Selection Committee has developed a schedule of events for both the SFD award winners and other award winners to help professionally develop and mentor each other. These events will all be held in a dedicated room, and those groups can expect to hear from the chair, Rhea Lathan. There will be door prizes for attendees at the social events, and other things. 

Thank you, everyone. I know, this year's Cs will be fantastic because it is such a communal event. We are already laboring together. 

Peace